Thursday, November 19, 2009

Eating, exercise and weight.

If I drink a cup of water, I gain 8 oz, or 1/2 pound.

If I eat an ounce of potato chips, I gain 1 oz, or 1/8 of the weight I gain when I drink water.

Therefore, I should give up drinking water and eat potato chips. Right? Well, you know that is wrong.

You see, the water remains water. It isn't stored in the body long term. It is peed and sweated out.

In the potato chips, however, there are 9 grams of fat. That fat goes directly to storage. It will stay there most of your life, unless you exercise enough to start burning fat. That is the only way that 9 grams goes away. Most of us gain our weight 9 grams at a time.

Here are the conditions: I have to move large muscle groups (legs) long enough to deplete the stored up sugar in the muscles. That is usually 10 minutes. Then, I have to keep my heart rate between 60% and 80% of my maximum heart rate. A good way to judge this is if you can say sentences without having to take a breath in the middle of the sentence.

For most of us, a 20 minute walk will do the trick. You can walk at a club, outside, in the house, or in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment